If you have ever been unsure of which bread plate is yours; or whether you are supposed to butter the whole slice of bread. You are not alone. As an etiquette expert many of my clients and friends ask about the etiquette of eating bread and rolls. Here are the steps to take next time you are faced with the challenge of breaking bread.
- Your bread plate is the one to the left of your place setting.
- Don’t reach; Ask the person closest to the bread basket to pass it to you.
- Take the bread or roll and place it on your bread plate.
- Ask the person closest to the butter dish to pass it to you.
- Using the butter serving utensil (if there is one) or your butter knife (if there is no serving utensil), place some butter on your bread plate.
- Rip off a small piece of bread / roll, the appropriate size for one or two bites.
- Butter that piece of bread / roll holding it on the plate while spreading the butter.
- Eat it with your mouth closed and enjoy!
Use this etiquette for Holiday Dining and Everyday Dining…Happy Holidays!