When we refer to body shape or body type we are usually referring to the silhouette of the body formed by the structure of the hips, shoulders and waist. These three body parts form the shape of the body. There are many different ways that we can describe these body shapes. Some image professionals use geometrical labels. Some personal image experts use letters. And there are many other labels that describe body shapes and types. However, if you consider what they are saying it comes down to the following:
- The shoulders are wider than the hips
- The hips are wider than the shoulders
- The hips and shoulders are the same width and the waist is much smaller
- The hips and shoulders are the same width and the waist is not much smaller
- The hips and shoulders are the same and the waist is larger
Once you have determined your body shape it will make it much easier to decide if you want to dress to emphasize or to camouflage your body shape.